We then started the MAPPING process which is really not something I can type about coz I have no idea lol. Basically my specialist put sounds into my processor via the computer (My processor is on me at this stage but also connected via a wire to the computer), the sounds vary in loudness & I tell her when I hear them. Pretty much like a hearing test. I think the process was a lot faster actually than what would happen during a hearing aid sound test. I was expecting it to be quite a long tiresome thing, but it seemed to be over quite quickly that part of it.
Then the Switch on happened. At this stage, hubby & lil miss are still in the room (Actually, they were in the room the entire 2hrs with me - Well done lil miss!! Such a good lil chicken!!). Specialist switched my processor on & it had a few beeps & then within 10seconds or so she spoke & I heard her. Word for word. Totally beyond my expectations.
We had some speech tests & I did pretty well with all that, including NON lip reading! (Where she puts something in front of her mouth, so I have to rely on the speech & not the lips moving). I did pretty well with that.
There were also the 5 sounds, which I got 5/5 for! The 5 sounds are:
And that was pretty much it after that. The bag (see the photos below) got examined & discussed about what all the bits & pieces were. I am still to look through it properly myself! I think i'll be spending all day tmw while lil miss is at kindy, looking & reading through it all lol. But I just need to get my battery charger out & the dry kit then i'm ready for bedtime at least.
Things I am hearing:
- My Baby Girl!!!!!!!!
- My husband!
- Indicator in the car. Have heard that before, but seems funny after so long without it
- My seat in the car creaking/squeaking. Years ago, hubby spilled a drink on it & its made noises ever since when someone is on it. I don't even remember the last time I heard it but possibly somewhere around 2003!
- Dialing up my insulin dose on my insulin pen - it clicks at each number. I have felt the clicks, but never heard them before!
- Mouse clicking on the computer. I've had several mouses while having no hearing, but this one feels so silent if that makes any sense at all. I never thought it clicked when I clicked it lol
- Keyboard tapping when I type. My current keyboard is really loud. Even hubby told me that i'd notice how loud it is. Its almost like a typewriter lol
- Water dripping from tap. Again, another sound I have heard prior to losing my hearing, but another one that you kinda forget it makes such a noise!
- My digital camera clicks when I take a photo! Never heard that before on this camera.
- My cat, meowing when I walked in the door tonight after my appointment
- My dog skattering all over the tiles in the laundry as I let him outside when we got home. I have never heard that before while living in this house.
- Hubby sniffling! Arghhh, driving me nuts already lol
- I heard some banging in the kitchen at McDonalds when we stopped there for dinner on the way home lol.
However, I do have all these photos of my "equipment bag" I got which contains everything!
|Front view of the bag (Pepsi Max can gives you an idea of the size of the bag!)|
|Side view of the bag (Pepsi Max can gives an idea how wide it is!)|
|Unzip the bag to reveal all this!|
|All the contents out on our 4 seater dining table lol|
|My Cochlear Nucleus 5 Sound Processor (Yes, its boring brown - but it blends in really well with my hair!!)|
I am emotionally drained, excited, exhausted, but ...
Feeling on top of the world :) xxx